Prom and Other Things

Today is the Little One's prom.  Not sure how we got here so fast, but here we are.  Why didn't anyone warn me about Pre Prom meltdowns?  They are a real thing.  Well, maybe I heard rumors about nail fiascos and hair disasters but those things only happened to other people.  Like exaggerators and cry babies.  

Nope, they happen to real people, people like me that claim to have their shit together and people like my kid who is one of the strongest, most dynamic forces I know.  

And let me tell you, they are not pretty.  And they come on fast and out of freakin nowhere.  I'm pretty sure I had a mini one in the car as I was running Pre Prom errands and listening to Bizarre Love Triangle on repeat.  

I was looking for last minute things and I wanted to call my mom and talk shit with her.  And then I remembered she was gone.  I couldn't call her.  But I remembered aunt Mary said I could talk to my mom whenever I wanted and she would hear me.  So I started to tell her that Carolyn was going to prom today and I couldn't hold back the tears.  But also I wanted to laugh because she would have told me that if people saw me talking to myself in the car they would think I was crazy and I would tell her that I was crazy and we would laugh, we would laugh like we were crazy.  

When I got home I decided I would call my dad because I just needed to hear a familiar voice, one that would make it all better.  Typically, when my dad answers my calls, I greet him with, "Hello, father" and he replies, "Whatcha up to girl?" But today I said, "Hey dad...and then I lost it.  He asked what was wrong and I told him I was sad and that I was struggling because Carolyn was going to prom and that Mom would have told me that everything was going to be ok and that she would pray for her.  He said, "Yeah, your baby is not a baby anymore." And I remember him saying those exact words to me when I turned 40something.  

Then the Little One got home and she was in a full blown meltdown.  But by this time I had gotten my shit together and made myself a Paloma (that sat on the counter untouched as I used my super human power to calm her down). 

And then she made it off to prom and the Pre Prom meltdowns were behind us and I was able to enjoy my drink and then one more because why not.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If You're My Friend

On Saturdays I Weep